If you are considering Shopify for your POS retail system, you may be wondering about the costs for the different types of Shopify POS: POS Lite and POS Pro. Shopify pricing can first seem complex but is, in the end, straightforward. We will cover the following topics:
- The Costs of Shopify
- What Point of Sale Systems Works with Shopify?
- Adding A POS to Shopify
- Shopify Pricing Compared
- How Much Does Shopify Plus Cost?
- 6 Key Difference Between Shopify POS Pro vs. Shopify POS Lite
The Costs of Shopify: POS Lite vs. POS Pro
The first need-to-know information on Shopify POS pricing is that the POS is 100% FREE in two different scenarios:
- Anyone with a Shopify plan can start using Shopify POS Lite 100% FREE.
- Anyone with a Shopify Plus plan can start using Shopify POS Pro 100% FREE.
If you want to use Shopify Pro and have a standard Shopify plan, your monthly costs will be your plan’s cost plus $89 for each of your physical locations.
Shopify pricing is zero for the Lite version and zero for the Pro version if you have a Shopify Plus plan. However, yes, you need to pay extra if you have a standard Shopify plan and want POS Pro.
What Point of Sale Systems Works with Shopify?
You can use various mainstream POS brands. You can have a Shopify account for your website and use a different platform for your physical retail stores. However, keep in mind that while you can integrate Shopify with another POS, you will yield the most benefits using Shopify as it’s a native integration.
Specifically, you will get the most out of Shopify POS Pro.
Adding A POS to Shopify
A Shopify eCommerce development team can help you add the POS and get it running, using all the most powerful Omnichannel Selling features (among other capabilities). However, the DIY path is essentially these eight steps:
- Configure your administrative settings.
- Download the Shopify POS app.
- Add your products and organize them.
- Set up your tax settings.
- Verify that you can take payment.
- Order your POS hardware and set it up. You can use Shopify POS hardware or compatible hardware from another vendor.
- Put through a few test orders.
- Do an online promotion.
Keep in mind, this process isn’t simple. Working with a trusted development team, such as Oyova, to help set up your system can eliminate wasted hours – and wasted money.
Shopify Costs By Plan
Critical to your ongoing Shopify costs is the pricing for different plans. You can try Shopify for free for 14 days. Then you need to decide between a Basic Shopify, Shopify, or Advanced plan (unless you have a Shopify Plus plan). Here are just a few of the similarities and differences between those three core options:
|Basic Shopify||Shopify||Advanced Shopify|
|Ecommerce store + blog||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|# of staff who can use Shopify POS & admin||2||5||15|
|Unlimited # of products||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|# of storage locations (warehouses, stores, pop-ups, etc.) where you can assign inventory||4||5||8|
|Credit card rates — online||2.9 percent plus $0.30||2.6 percent plus $0.30||2.4 percent plus $0.30|
|Credit card rates – in-person||2.7 percent plus $0.00 USD||2.5 percent plus $0.00||2.4 percent plus $0.00|
|Fee for using non-Shopify payment providers||2.0 percent||1.0 percent||0.5 percent|
|Advanced report builder||No||No||Yes|
|Third-party calculated shipping rates (At checkout, you can see shipping rates generated by third-party apps or your own account.)||No||No||Yes|
6 Key Difference Between Shopify POS Pro vs. Shopify POS Lite
It does not help much to know the difference in cost between the Shopify POS Lite and ShopifyPOS Pro versions if you do not know what you are getting. Here are just a few features you get with Shopify POS Pro that do not come with the free Lite version:
- Automatic discounts: Whether a customer is in your store or is shopping you online, they can redeem BOGO, fixed amount, and percentage discounts easily. There is no need to manually calculate discounts since they are applied at checkout automatically!
- Buy in-store, ship to customer: If your in-store inventory is low at a physical store, you can sell from wherever you have it. This feature also works well for customizable products and showrooms.
- Buy online, pick up in-store: You can quickly notify customers when pickup orders are ready, with comprehensive tracking and managing capabilities.
- Product recommendations: With your customers’ online purchase data integrated, you get smart suggestions and sell more in-person.
- Retail staff roles & permissions: You want to control access to information and determine who can perform which tasks. This feature allows you to establish permission sets suitable for each role.
- Demand forecasting: You will get suggestions from Shopify as to what should stay on your shelves based on business trends and previous sales data.